United Nations pleads for Syria aid access after truce extended
Sep 19, 2016, 01:00
The ceasefire, which began on Monday, expires in 72 hours but both Russian Federation and the United States say they hope all sides can extend it beyond the first week.
The spokesman pointed out that "only the Syrian Army adheres to the silence regime" in the three days since its enforcement following the September 9 announcement in Geneva by the Russian and U.S. diplomats.
"If the regime withdraws 500m, east and west (of the road). then the guys will be able to withdraw a bit", said Malahifji. The agreement has not been made public but officials familiar with it have told The Associated Press it contains a highly technical series of requirements for both Assad's government and opposition forces.
Earlier Friday, Russia said that only Moscow and the Syrian regime were fulfilling the truce deal.
In Geneva, the U.N.'s envoy to Syria, Staffan De Mistura, called humanitarian access the "second dividend" of the U.S. -Russia cease-fire deal, after tapering violence.
Speaking in Geneva, de Mistura blamed Assad's government for the delay.
The UN had hoped that 40 trucks of food - enough to feed 80,000 people for one month - could be delivered to besieged rebel-held eastern parts of Aleppo as soon as possible.
In Washington, a United States official said the session was canceled because the Russians were trying to force the USA to make the ceasefire deal public. "It is particularly regrettable ... These are days which we should have used for convoys to move with the permit to go because there is no fighting".
"The regime has not withdrawn from the area", Zakaria Malahifji of the Aleppo-based Fastaqim rebel group told Reuters.
"Our appeal is the following - it's a simple one", Mr Egeland said.
The cease-fire has led to greater calm since it began Monday night, though violence continues and the first three civilians were killed Thursday, according to the Syrian Observatory. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group also reported the government was leaving the area. United Nations officials have blamed the delay on the Syrian government, which has failed to provide the agency with the necessary permits to bring relief convoys from Turkey.
"Today the withdrawal is supposed to happen, with aid entering tomorrow".
"The United States will not compromise operational security", the official said.
Churkin said Russian Federation was working on a draft Security Council resolution that would endorse the deal.
Syrian troops withdrew from a main road leading to the besieged rebel-held part of the city for hours before returning to their positions later Friday, according to the Russian Defense Ministry. But right now, amid the continuing tensions, they are going nowhere.
No access to Castello Road means no aid to areas badly hit in Aleppo.
Russian officials have said the Syrian military is ready to pull out of the highway to allow safe passage of humanitarian aid into the city, Russian state news agency Tass reported.
Forces loyal to the Syrian government took over the road in July, and opposition fighters' attempts to retake it have failed. The report said two people guarding the location were wounded. It also said three shells were fired at the government-held southern village of Hadar.
The Syrian army said the bombardment "clearly set the scene for a terrorist attack by Daesh on the position and controlling it", using an Arabic acronym for Islamic State. The Pentagon said on Friday that the coalition had killed a senior Islamic State leader, Wa'il Salman al-Fayad, in an air strike last week near the group's de facto Syrian capital, Raqqa.
"We know that there's at least a quarter of a million people in eastern Aleppo who are potentially all of them in need of some kind of aid", United Nations humanitarian office spokesman Jens Laerke said.
According to USA officials, if Russian Federation and the regime fulfill their obligations under the arrangement, Washington and Moscow will hold bilateral talks on potential military cooperation against Daesh and also Nusrah Front, which recently detached itself with al-Qaeda and rebranded itself as Jabhat Fateh al-Sham.
So in as much as stakeholders are heavily spending on ads, their audience is also responding very well to what they are offering. In addition to this, there’s a wide variety of games which the platform offers to cater for all types of gamers.
Cleanopolis VR This educational title is primarily for kids but it doesn't mean that people of all ages won't be able to enjoy it. House of Terror VR This game gives you the chance to explore a haunted house full of monsters, traps, and very hard puzzles.
But after news of the show's move to Channel 4, Oliver became a frontrunner to replace Berry or Hollywood if they decide to quit. The show began on BBC Two in 2010 before moving over to BBC One in 2014.
The horror film about a house's haunted past stars Kate Beckinsale and cost roughly $15 million to produce. Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at USA and Canadian theaters, according to comScore.
The victor here meets the victor of the tie being played in Croatia, where the home team took a 2-1 lead over France on Saturday. Defeats for Andy Murray and Kyle Edmund left Great Britain's Davis Cup title defence hanging by a thread in Glasgow.
The annual revenue of Metafrax Group exceeded USD 660 million and the annual volume of investments amounted to USD 80 million. CHEMICAL ASSETS In 2014 Seyfeddin Roustamov became the major shareholder of the chemical company Metafrax (Perm region).
Female Rebel BBL starts their season from the 9th f December, which is 10 days earlier from the male season of KFC BBL games. Fans of cricket across the world can see the online stream at the official Australian cricket website, and throw its app.
That's a sea change in thinking for a company that until recently was mostly thought of as a builder of cars and trucks. Back in April, the company announced $2.5 billion in investments to construct a new plant in Mexico.
Modric, who can help "control where Paul goes and can control a game of football" similar to the way Andrea Pirlo did at Juventus. Manchester United might have splashed the cash last summer in the transfer window.
Arsenal: Capable of Winning the Premier League Title?
With plenty of points to be won and lost, the title race is still very much on and Arsenal will be confident of bridging the gap. Defensively, Arsenal have improved since Shkodran Mustafi joined the club in the summer but there is still room for improvement.
Nadal pulls out of opening singles tie due to stomach upset
Ramkumar lost a few points on his serve at the start of the match but a few unforced errors meant he was facing two breakpoints. The Spanish class was evident in the way they ran away with the tie-break, first to 5-0 before closing it out at 7-2.
Beaches reopened after pipe bomb blast, probe ongoing
He said those in the area have been through a lot, with Superstorm Sandy in 2012 and its aftermath, and now the bomb blast. It was not immediately clear if the extremist group had planned the attack or even knew about it beforehand.