Pence confident no one on his staff wrote NY Times column

Sep 11, 2018, 01:03
Pence confident no one on his staff wrote NY Times column

As the New York Times op-ed written by an anonymous senior official in the Trump administration continues to rock Washington, Vice President Mike Pence and White House adviser Kellyanne Conway are refuting charges that the administration has considered removing Trump from office.

Some Democrats, meanwhile, argued that the op-ed and Trump's response to it are proof that he is not fit to serve.

"If they have published an anonymous editorial that says that they are misrepresenting themselves, that they are essentially living a lie within this administration, and trying to frustrate and subvert the agenda of the president was elected to advance, that's an important issue", Pence said.

The full interview will air Sunday on Face the Nation.

After the publication of the op-ed earlier this week, Trump questioned whether the New York Times was guilty of treason and called for the paper to turn the source over to the White House.

Vice-president Mike Pence says he is "100% confident" that none of his staff were behind an anonymous article that described Donald Trump as "amoral" and "erratic". I know their character.

"Does the so-called "Senior Administration Official" really exist, or is it just the Failing New York Times with another phony source?"

During a taped "Fox News Sunday" interview, Pence said: "I would agree to take it in a heartbeat and would submit to any review the administration wanted to do".

"I know their dedication and I am absolutely confident that no one on the Vice-President's staff had anything to do with this."
And that person should do the honorable thing, step forward and resign.

When asked if he participated in any of those conversations on Face the Nation, Pence replied: "No, never. President Trump is doing for the people of this country".

The president has condemned the paper for publishing the article, saying: "They don't like Donald Trump and I don't like them".

"What I see is a tough leader, a demanding leader, someone who gets all the options on the table", Mr Pence told Fox News. "But he makes the decisions, and that's why we've made the progress we've made". CBS host Margaret Brennan asked Pence.

He cited national security concerns as grounds for what would amount to an extraordinary criminal probe, should Attorney-General Jeff Sessions decide to pursue one.

Pence also said that he hasn't been asked for an interview by special counsel Robert Mueller as part of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and added that he was willing to sit down with Mueller if asked.

Appearing on CNN, Sen.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
popular