Thai Cave Rescue Operation Suspended After 4 More Boys Freed

Jul 10, 2018, 02:59
Thai Cave Rescue Operation Suspended After 4 More Boys Freed

Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said they "hope to hear good news in the next few hours".

Look inside the Tham Luang Cave area in northern Chiang Rai province of Thailand to see the hard task of saving the trapped 12 boys and their football coach. That brought the total number of boys rescued to five. They probably won't like enclosed spaces.

Volunteers outside the cave in Chiang Rai cheered as news of the first boy rescued on Monday emerged.

A relative of one member of the soccer team said that the boys' families had agreed to remain at the cave until all of the boys and the coach are brought out.

The boys are said to be generally in good health but doctors are still evaluating whether they could have picked up any unsafe infections, such as the potentially lethal leptospirosis, while inside the damp cave for two weeks.

"If we wait and the rain comes in the next few days we will be exhausted again from pumping and our readiness would drop".

A heavy but brief downpour hit the area Monday morning, but authorities said that did not change the water level in the cave, as workers continue to pump water out.

During this process, rescuers need to hold the boys' oxygen tanks in front of them and swim pencil-like through submerged holes. The boys have reportedly yet to meet their families, though a senior official told The Guardian that they could be reunited on Monday night.

Authorities have not confirmed the identity of the first four boys rescued. New oxygen tanks were being placed before the second stage of the rescue effort began.

Narongsak said the operation had proceeded hours faster than expected, adding that it was "a great success".

The boys were found inside the cave by British rescue divers a week ago, about 4km (2.5 miles) from the cave mouth.

"I beg Phra Pirun because the Meteorological Department said that from Monday on there will be continuous rain", Bancha said. "None of us has been informed of anything". Tracy also noted that the glimpse we've seen of the trapped boys showed they appeared to be in good spirits.

"We have not been told which child has been brought out".

All four were airlifted to a hospital in the nearby city of Chiang Rai.

The first boy out was Monhkhol Boonpiam, 13, known as Mark.

The billionaire entrepreneur has been tweeting proposals and offering his services to the Thai government in its efforts to extract the 12 boys and their soccer coach from a partially flooded cave.

The group had gone exploring in the massive Tham Luang Nang Non cave on June 23 after a soccer practice, and were cut off when a rainstorm flooded the cave.

Preparations are also under way to manage the mental health of the boys once they are all freed.

He added that they will be let off their upcoming exams next week. "They will not have to follow the normal schedules".

However, even after their ordeal is over, the children could still suffer post traumatic stress disorder, experts have warned.

Expert divers on Sunday managed to get four of the 12 boys to safety. Students and teachers at Maesaiprasitsart school, attended by numerous children, have been given instructions to avoid "talk that hurts [the boys'] feelings", said teacher Thongyaud Kejorn.

How will the kids' mental health be effected?