Reports Say First Two Boys Brought Out of Cave

Jul 10, 2018, 04:01
Reports Say First Two Boys Brought Out of Cave

It was not clear Monday morning whether divers had reentered the huge Tham Luang cave complex where the remaining nine people have been trapped for more than two weeks.

Two more boys left the Tham Luang Nang Non cave complex a short time later and were transferred to a medical facility on site, followed soon after by a fourth boy, according to the eyewitness, who is stationed at the entrance to the cave. The ambulances drove to a nearby helipad and a helicopter was seen taking off. It was unclear who was inside the ambulance or the helicopter.

The four boys pulled from the cave Sunday in an urgent and risky operation that involved them diving through the cave's dark, tight and twisting passages were happy and in good health, authorities said. It takes several hours.

"We're ready for the operation today", said Narongsak, who said the weather and the water levels in the cave are good.

As days passed, people feared the worst and wondered just how the boys and their coach could survive while trapped underground in flooded caverns.

Narongsak said last week they would bring the fittest people in the group out first.

The rescue team consists of 90 divers, 40 from Thailand and 50 from overseas.

That adds up to about two hours of air per tank - meaning multiple tanks must be hauled by rescuers trying to reach the boys. He said officials were meeting Monday morning about conducting the next stage of the operation.

The toughest part of the route is a section at nearly halfway called "T-Junction", which due to its narrowness causes divers to remove their air tanks to fit through.

The remaining boys and their coach are expected to have to wait at least another day before rescuers continue extraction attempts. Workers have been laboring around the clock to pump water out of the cave, and authorities said Monday that heavy downpours overnight did not raise water levels inside.

Authorities have been rushing to extract the boys, ages 11-16, and their coach from the cave as monsoon rains bore down on the mountainous region in far northern Chiang Rai province. Meteorologists estimated a 60% chance of rain in the area on Monday.

The rescue operation is estimated to take 10 hours and end by 9 p.m. local time. The images showed a team of SpaceX engineers testing the device in the swimming pool of a Los Angeles high school.

The world has been watching closely as a mission to rescue a soccer team of young boys in Thailand from a flooded cave is underway. They were found alive last week by divers.

Narongsak said earlier on Sunday the mission may take three or four days to complete. They were quickly transported to a hospital in the town of Chiang Rai, the provincial capital.

Karadzic, the Danish diver, said preparations had been made with air tanks and spaces identified for those being rescued to go if needed.

Authorities have repeatedly said the rain could re-flood crucial parts of the cave complex that have been drained and make the escape route much harder or even impossible to navigate.

The entire group had been trapped for more than two weeks.