Indian security personnel crush Kashmiri youth under vehicle

Jun 03, 2018, 21:18
Indian security personnel crush Kashmiri youth under vehicle

A youngster was crushed to death while another sustained injuries after a vehicle of Indian paramilitary force ran them over in Srinagar on Friday.

This was done as a precautionary step to prevent them from taking out protest marches after a youth, who was allegedly run over by a CRPF vehicle yesterday, died, a police official said.

Earlier, last month, a man was killed when Indian forces' vehicle deliberately drover over him during clashes in Safa Kadal area of Srinagar in Occupied Jammu and Kashmir.

As per the agreed plan, volunteers from the Anjuman-e-Auqaf Jamia Masjid stood on guard at the entry and exit gates while the authorities did not deploy any policeman and soldier in or around the mosque.

According to eyewitnesses, the boys, identified as Younis Ahmed and Qaiser Butt, were rushed to a hospital where the latter succumbed to his injuries.

The troops also damaged sixty-seven (67) residential houses and disgraced six (6) women during the month.

The vehicle rocked back and forth for about 30 seconds when one protester was caught beneath it, finally driving away from the furious crowd.

The death of the Srinagar man triggered sharp criticism from former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, tweeting if the government's "ceasefire means no guns, so use jeeps".

The other two youth remain critical.

In a statement, the Joint Resistance Leaders (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik said the "killing spree continues in Kashmir despite Ramadhan ceasefire". Now they just drive their jeeps right over protesters. Four Central Reserve Police Force personnel were among eight people injured in Saturday's three attacks.

"The protesters tried to stop the vehicle but the forces continued to move", said Shahid Ahmad, a resident who was at the scene. "We showed exemplary restraint by not opening fire but when the mob pelted us with stones, our driver sped through the crowd and they (two youth) were hit". Following the incident that sparked anger in Kashmir, J&K police registered two separate cases against the CRPF and the protesters.

Police later took custody of Mr Bhat's body and allowed only a handful of relatives to take his coffin to the main cemetery.