At least 24 people killed in Nigeria mosque attacks

May 02, 2018, 04:27
At least 24 people killed in Nigeria mosque attacks

"This is obviously the work of Boko Haram".

Rescue worker Sani Kakale said: "In my presence, 42 dead bodies were taken to hospital and 68 injured".

Boko Haram held territory in Adamawa state in 2014, but troops pushed the group out in early 2015 and Mubi was relatively peaceful until the suicide bomb attack in November 2017 that killed 50 people.

Haruna Hamman Furo, the head of the Adamawa state emergency management agency, described Tuesday's attack as "devastating".

The group has staged a number of terror attacks, including the 2011 bombing of a United Nations office in the country's capital of Abuja. which killed 21 people.

Suspicion immediately fell on Boko Haram, the group that has left at least 20,000 dead since 2009.

Nigeria has bought a dozen A-29 Super Tucano light fighter aircraft in a $496-million (413-million-euro) deal.

"How they think in terms of combat, in my opinion, is still thinking of things as conventional warfare", Lieutenant-Colonel Sean McClure, the U.S. defence attaché in Abuja, told AFP last month.

Health workers from the hospital mobilised to attend to the victims, despite being on strike over pay and conditions. Yet another bomber detonated another bomb as people scampered for safety.

The explosions are said to have taken place in and around a mosque as Muslims in the town were preparing for afternoon prayers.

One suicide bomber blew himself up in the mosque, and the second a few minutes later gathered at the scene of the attack the crowd.

It could be recalled that in November previous year there was a bomb blast in Arhankulu area of Mubi where several were killed.

This is the second attack at a mosque in Mubi in six months, AP reported.

Residents say two suicide bombers detonated explosives at a mosque and a market in Mubi town.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
popular