Dog Nearly Dies of Burns After Being Colored Purple With Hair Dye

Jan 27, 2018, 16:45
Dog Nearly Dies of Burns After Being Colored Purple With Hair Dye

A dog suffered a near-fatal allergic reaction after its owners dyed its fur purple using human hair dye.

While Violet survived her ordeal, the Pinellas County Animal Service said the incident should serve as a warning to pet owners not to use human hair dye on animals.

She was limp and listless, with eyes swollen shut and deep painful burns across her tiny body.

"Pain medication, antibiotics, IV fluids, honey treatments, scab removal, anesthetizing, bandage changes, sleepless nights, worrying, hope, worrying, hope and finally the silver lining".

The centre said that Violet soon became more confident and started coming out of her shell.

But when they removed the bandages and shaved her coat, the true extent of Violet's injuries were laid bare when her skin had started to peel off.

Writing on their Facebook page the rescuers said: "Express yourself, but please do not use hair dye intended for humans to expres your pet's style".

According to the Pinellas County Animal Services, Violet, a Maltese mix, was brought in for treatment around October with her injuries, and staff didn't think she'd make it through the night. When the bandages were removed, the staff found Violet with all her hair back. "It was so much worse than we initially thought", the post said. Would her hair ever grow back?

After three months of constant care, during which time she didn't have the energy to cry, she has now been re-homed. While ethical issues may exist, should a pet dye be used, make sure it is pet-safe, isn't sugar-free and doesn't contain xylitol.

"When the final bandages came off we breathed a collective sigh of relief - Violet was lovely", the animal shelter wrote.

One 2013 study by Tufts University detailed the case of one eight-year-old Border Collie who had ingested natural hair dye - henna - and developed a life-threatening case of anemia.

The seriousness of her injuries meant animal rescuers in Florida feared the worst for the dog, especially when she began to shed skin.

Violet is also getting along well with Andersons other dogs, Mushu and Sushi, who are both shih tzus. "Shes a very sweet little girl".