Kabul blast: Death toll rises to 20

Jan 05, 2018, 12:20
Kabul blast: Death toll rises to 20

If eyewitnesses are to be believed, it was a suicide attack.

"The bomber came from among the protesters and targeted our police forces", Rahimi said, adding the attacker was wearing civilian clothes.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

The capital has become one of the deadliest places in war-torn Afghanistan for civilians in recent months, as the Taliban step up their attacks and IS seeks to expand its presence in the country.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack and ordered an investigation into the blast, a statement from the presidential office said.

The movement, which first appeared in eastern Afghanistan in 2015, has extended its reach steadily although many security officials question its ability to conduct complex attacks and believe it has help from criminals or other militant groups. Much of the centre of Kabul is already a fortified zone of concrete blast walls and police checkpoints, following repeated attacks on the diplomatic quarter of the city.

"We can confirm that so far 11 bodies have been brought to our hospitals as well as 25 wounded", the AFP news agency quoted Health Ministry spokesman Wahid Majroh as saying on January 4.

The Sunni extremist group has recently increased its attacks against Shi'a in Afghanistan - particularly in Kabul.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
popular