Top JeM terrorist killed in Kashmir's Pulwama, encounter continues

Dec 27, 2017, 00:45
Top JeM terrorist killed in Kashmir's Pulwama, encounter continues

However, when the security cordon tightened, the hiding terrorists whose exact number was still not known, fired at the security forces triggering a fierce encounter, said the police chief.

JeM militant chief operational commander Noor Mohammed Tantray. After Ghazi Baba was killed, Tantray was arrested from Delhi's Sadar Bazar on August 31, 2003. The Polie had then arrested him and recovered almost 19.2 lakhs from his possession. Inspector General of Police Muneer Khan said that the killed terrorist was a member of the Jaish-e-Mohammed and also the jihadist group of Kashmir. After being lodged in Delhi's Tihar Jail for some time, he was shifted to Srinagar.

Since he jumped parole in 2015, Tantray was stepping up JeM's role in Kashmir by planning/assisting in major attacks on security forces. "Consequently, he remained in Tral (his home town in Pulwama) and became a major over- ground worker of the JeM in the belt", the statement said. Tantray, three-foot-tall and 47-year-old, has been wanted by the security forces for some time after he is said to have masterminded several attacks in the past six months.

Defence spokesperson Rajesh Kalia told The Indian Express that Tantray was on the Army's "wanted list" also.

Local sources said that a few militants appeared during the funeral who offered gun-salute to their slain commander. The encounter continued till early morning, and one JeM cadre was identified as Noor Mohammad Tantray. Eight security personnel and three militants were killed in that attack.

He was also involved in the grenade attack carried on State PWD Minister Naeem Akhtar's cavalcade in Tralon 21 September. A complete shutdown was observed in Tral area on Tuesday, and Internet and railway services were suspended in South Kashmir.

Violence has ebbed and flowed in Indian-administered Kashmir since 1989 but the region has seen a fresh wave of unrest following popular militant leader Burhan Wani's killing by Indian forces in July 2016.