Michigan State holds on for rain-soaked win over Penn State

Nov 05, 2017, 01:38
Michigan State holds on for rain-soaked win over Penn State

On first down, Lewerke made a pair of play-action fakes before connecting on a 33-yard touchdown pass to Felton Davis, who made a full-extension dive into the end zone to tie the game at 14-14 with 3:54 left in the second quarter.

The Nittany Lions still plan to plead their case to the College Football Playoff committee, and a big win over the Spartans could start the momentum shift to recover from last week's one-point loss to Ohio State.

Meanwhile, don't look now but the Spartans, who were all but written off as an also-ran in a crowded division coming into the season are now 7-2 with only one loss in conference play.

Michigan State's Brian Lewerke ranks just behind McSorley in total offense and has thrown for 14 scores. No big surprise here: The Spartans have built themselves into a tough Big Ten opponent again on the strength of their defense, but Barkley has scored a touchdown in 15 straight games, and Michigan State isn't in great shape to rally from any kind of significant early deficit. It might take twice as long to arrive as it should, but through rain and stormy skies he's going to deliver.

Heavy rain and lightning in East Lansing forced the two teams into the locker room during the second quarter.

Saturday's marked the second weather-delayed game of the season for Michigan State, following their 30-27 win at Minnesota on October 14, in which the start was bumped back.

Trace McSorley threw for 381 yards and three touchdowns for Penn State, but Nittany Lions star Saquon Barkley was held in check.

The delay officially lasted 3 hours and 22 minutes, while administrators from both schools leered at radar screens showing a long string of thunderstorms rolling through central MI. The penalty moved the ball to the Penn State 22, and the Spartans were able to run the clock down before Coghlin's winning kick. Penn State fought back, though.