Man's 'tumor' turns out to be toy he swallowed 40 years ago

Sep 29, 2017, 00:22
Man's 'tumor' turns out to be toy he swallowed 40 years ago

The toy in Baxter's lungs is only the fifth documented case of an object remaining undetected in a body for over 20 years.

Doctors found a toy traffic cone inside a 47-year-old man from Preston who presumably had lung cancer.

Doctors believed the cough could have been because the man was a smoker but on closer inspection, a cone-shaped mass was spotted in his lungs via an X-ray.

The report added that doctors writing for online medical repository BMJ Case Reports now consider him a medical mystery, due to the length of time that passed without him displaying any symptoms.

Reality influenced the specialists to wheeze themselves: During a bronchoscopy, they found the tumor was really a small toy activity cone the patient had gotten as a feature of a blessing when he turned 7.

The toy was removed with biopsey forceps, The Guardian UK reports. They estimate the patient's aviation route some way or another adjusted to the nearness of the plastic toy or was assimilated into the covering of the lung.

When a child or adult swallows a foreign object, such as peanuts, bobby pins, screws, braces wires or toys, the majority of the time it will be excreted naturally.

The doctors said: "On a positive note, his symptoms improved markedly and he finally found his long-lost Playmobil traffic cone in the very last place he would look".

"Four months after removal of the tiny traffic cone, his productive cough had almost entirely settled and a chest X-ray only showed minor residual consolidation".

Children may not be able to give accurate descriptions of what happened before the cough, nor the symptoms that developed, so it is safest for parents to seek immediate medical attention, said Munavvar. "Long-standing cases of TFB aspiration during childhood presenting in an adult have rarely been reported".

Said The Daily Mail, doctors wrote: "To our knowledge this is the first reported case of a tracheobronchial foreign body that was overlooked for 40 years".